Established in 1752 as a Spanish presidio, Tubac, AZ was the original Spanish colonial garrison in Arizona. The town was also one of the stops on the Camino Real (the "Royal Road") from Mexico to the Spanish settlements in California. Tubac, AZ's most famous Spanish resident was Juan Bautista de Anza.
While stationed at Tubac, AZ (1760–1776), de Anza built the chapel of Santa
Gertrudis, the foundations of which lie beneath today's St. Ann's
Church. Tubac, AZ was depopulated during the O'odham Uprising in the 18th century. During the 19th century, the area was repopulated by miners, farmers and ranchers. Today, it's well-known
as an artist colony where painters, potters, sculptors and carvers are
among the many artists who make their home in the village. Shops are
open year round, including coffee shops and restaurants with an open