The key to successful gardening is to know what plants are best suited for your area and when and where to plant them. Knowing your climate zone is just the start, however the microclimates around your yard will play a large part in having beautiful plantings. Here are just a few things to consider:
- Sun Exposure - western & southern exposures are warmer and sunnier than eastern and northern exposures.
- Wind Damage - strong winds can dry out soils or knock over fragile growth.
- Elevation - cold air sweeps down hills and rests in low areas. These frost pockets are okay for some plantings, yet can be deadly to others.
- Sonoran Desert
The Sonoran Desert lies in Southern AZ & four other states including the country of Mexico.
- Botanical Gardens
Garden studies and exhibitions of special plants for Arizona.
- Climate Planting Zone
Helpful information to help you understand our plants zones for our high desert area.
- Plant Selection Guides
Following plant searches will help you with you selection process.
- Native Trees
Native trees throughout Santa Cruz County, AZ.
- Planning Gardens Tools
In just a few minutes you can be creating a beautiful yard on your computer screen.
- Xeriscape Concepts
Water coversation landscaping design for the desert.
- Water Harvesting
Information on water harvesting concepts and holding tanks.
- The Wildlife-friendly Garden
Making an existing yard more wildlife-friendly or planting a new garden from scratch.
- Gardening Tips for the Desert Southwest
Even in an arid climate, your garden can look lush all year long.
- Garden Safety Tips
Simple steps to avoid injury in your garden.
- Nurseries & Gardenig Supplies
Plant supplies for Arizona gardens.
- Gardening Books, Clubs & Societies
Several gardening bookstores to help you with your gardening.